Tuesday, May 26, 2009

I love meeting new people...

So I'm at Ashley's house for the bbq last night. A bunch of people showed up who are nearing their 60s but all played college athletics at the University of Michigan. We had a former swimmer (Ashley's Dad) and two former football players. We also had the father-in-law of one of the football players. Not only was he a 9 sport letter winner at the University of Michigan, but he played professional baseball for the Detroit Tigers, coached for them, was in charge of their farm teams, coached U-M baseball when they won a national title and I can't list the number of other accomplishments. What caught my attention was the fact that he winked at me when he sat down at the table last night. An 86 year old man winked at me. I thought it was funny and decided he'd be fun to talk to. I ended up spending part of the night talking to him and boy was it a treat! So many stories like why he picked professional baseball over professional football (in baseball, practice was fun everyday and the game was fun. in football the only fun day was game day. practice was awful!) and stories about all the people he had met, known, and played with. If you know me at all, you knew I was all ears and having a wonderful time hearing the stories and asking questions. Don is a great storyteller.
The best compliment of the night was when his son-in-law asked him, "When was the last time you talked to a girl this young who knew this much about sports?" Don smiled! I smiled! I'm looking forward to the next get together at Ashley's parents house so I can spend more time talking to Don!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Lund

1 comment:

  1. Ah, I love stories like this because you probably totally made his night in that a) you were interested in his stories, and b) you were knowledgeable and cute!

    One of my father-in-law's patients was Warren Spahn, the great leftie baseball player...he always had some great stories, too!

    ReplyDelete