Monday, July 6, 2009

More Trades, Winners/Losers

So the core that once was my beloved Detroit Pistons is no longer. I know we lost Ben Wallace, not gonna lie, it was a great idea not to resign him for that much money, a few years ago, and then we traded away our Mr. Big Shot this year to get AI--I understand the money behind it, but for AI? A) He's past his prime, B) He's not a team player, C) Wasn't he the guy who strangled a coach or was that Latrell Sprewell--nevermind, if a guy played for the Philedelphia 76ers at any point in his career he's not someone I want on my team! But now Rasheed is gone. I understand why he's gone, he's old! But this just makes me feel old now that my team is practically gone! All we have left are Tayshaun Prince and Rip Hamilton. Not that I'm complaining, because they are my two favorites. I have both of their jerseys! But come on! I hope Dumars can turn this around. I may actually have to start watching basketball again!

The Wimbledon final: I can hear Justin Timberlake singing in the background "That's why I love sports!" I'm cleaning my room and yelling at my Mom "It's 7-7 in the 5th set! It's 10-1- in the 5th set. It's 12-12 in the 5th set!" The amount of passion and ability both these players have and showed yesterday was unbelievable. You would have never known without looking at the score that they had been playing for several hours! They both looked to be in incredible shape, Andy especially! I don't know what he is doing differently, but the kid has lost a bit of weight and his stamina and mental game have improved drastically. I've never seen him play better! Good for him! Federer, congrats on beating Sampras. You've earned it. I totally cracked up when Andy said, "Sorry, Pete! I was trying to hold him off," in his post match interview! I believe I heard that this match was the longest 5th set in grand slam history! The intensity never left the court! I fully believe that if it wasn't for a few minor errors, they could have continued this set well into the night!

Tiger Wigs Again--Applause! The greatest there is & ever was has found his groove again. Watch out Turnberry, you're about to be Tigerized!

Steve McNair was murdered: Besides this being absolutely horrible, I think Holly Robinson Peete had a great point when she asked, "Will this put and end to the affairs professional athletes have?" His wife didn't know he was cheating on her. Now she's not only lost her husband, but she's been embarrassed by his actions. Way to be a man, Steve. If you're gonna cheat on your spouse, have the decency to get divorced or separate or something! Be a real man (or woman--Mel the sports nut is not biased!) instead of chicken butt! It's not fair to her to lose the one she loves in such a horrible fashion, but to top it off knowing that he was killed while cheating on her is the icing on the cake! Professional athletes need to quit being the selfish sons of a guns that they are (I will admit that not all of them are! I know some very nice professional athletes in various sports (hockey, football, golf)) and be ethical, moral, and outstanding citizens and roles models!--I think I just fell off my soapbox because that's never going to happen! The great work of many is overshadowed by the poor work of a few! God Bless him, his family and friends and especially his wife!



And we return to Hockey!! Havlat is now a member of the Wild. Mikael Samuelsson has joined the Canucks organization (tear). The wings are currently looking for a forward whom they can sign. Generally they wait until late in the summer and pick up a great free agent. This has happened several times in years past and I have full faith in Ken Holland.

1 comment:

  1. I love your soap box...get on it anytime...oh, and Wimbledon - Epic!

    ReplyDelete