Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Attention Blackhawk and Red Wings Fans

It's official--Marian Hossa has signed a 12 year deal with the Chicago Blackhawks. That's right...the Hossa curse has left Detroit and now resides in...Chicago!!

I guess this means Martin Havlat will not be returning to the Blackhawks next year.

More later on the developing story and what this means for both the hawks and wings organizations! I've got a 3:30 tee time I must see to right now!

Update:We got rained out. After 9 holes, my team is down by 2 in a best ball team matchplay with handicap tournament. I don't get any strokes though. I also didn't play very well so I'm kinda happy we stopped because of the weather, but at the same time I was building momentum!

Back to the trades...Here's a breakdown so far:
Hossa to the Hawks
Cammalleri to the Habs
Komisarek to the Leafs
Gill to the Habs
Pronger to the Flyers
Knuble (met him! great guy, really nice, kind of a dork) to the Capitals
Conklin to the Blues
Walker to the Lightning

What exactly do I think about the Hossa trade--Honestly, I didn't see how he would end up staying in Detroit. The Wings weren't willing to give him a huge contract (he knew this going into talks) but for very good reason. The guy did not perform in the playoffs. Sure he was the leading scorer on the team during the regular season, but when the Wings needed him the most, he wasn't around. Our young guys stepped it up and really overshadowed Hossa. I'm not sorry to see him leave. I'm happy the wings didn't up their offer!

What I think of the Hawks: ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR FREAKING MIND? Whoa...glad to get that off my chest! I'd been holding that one in. You do realize that you have to resign Jonathan Toews (YOUR CAPTAIN), Patrick Kane (YOUR SUPERSTAR), and Duncan Keith (THE BACKBONE OF YOUR DEFENSE) next year. From what I've read, Tallon has left about $15 million in the budget to sign these 3 PREMIER players next year. If Hossa is getting paid more than $5 mill a year, I think each one of these guys deserves to get paid at least that much as well! All three are playmakers! The Hawks would NOT have gotten as far in the playoffs as they did without the help of Duncan Keith. Him and Brent Seabrook owned the ice this past spring! They have my vote for favorite defensive duo--that's right, they have my vote over my beloved wings defenders! That's how impressed I am with the two of these guys! I know Tallon is a smart guy, but I can't see how locking up a player like Hossa, who HASN'T proved himself when it gets down to the end, for 12 years and jeopordize the core for your team makes any sense what-so-ever! But then again, I'm a business and math teacher...what do I know about hockey or running a team?? I will leave that to the men in charge, but will someone please explain it to me! I'm smart, I swear! I graduated with departmental honors! But my business background and my knowledge or sports is not coming up with a solid answer as to why this deal was made!

Side note--I MISS HOCKEY!!!! AND I MISS FOOTBALL BUT IT'S NEARLY FOOTBALL SEASON! :)

Komisarek and Cammalleri--I loved the dynamic duo of the Mikes when they played for Michigan. Now Mike K is gonna be a Leaf--good for him. It was obvious he wanted OUT of the Habs organization. Mike C. has left the Flames and is moving to the Habs. I would have loved to have seen these guys reunited, not gonna lie! But I guess that's just not in the cards right now!

What I am mad about??--Conklin has left Detroit which means the Wings are going to give Jimmy Howard a chance to backup Chris Osgood. I'm banging my head against the wall. There is no way this can work out for the best! Why? HE JUST DOESN'T HAVE THAT "IT" THING!! We need a 2nd string goalie or a guy to continue to push Osgood...this kid isn't going to do that! He's going to learn from Osgood, but I honestly can't see him winning us a Stanley Cup! I can't even see him getting us to the playoffs! Kenny Holland...what do you see that I don't see! Please enlighten me!

Hopefully I'll get another update in tonight or tomorrow depending on what else happens with free agency. Have a great night!

1 comment:

  1. Your sports blog, along with Life is Peachy, are my two favorite places to get information and opinions - love them, and you are spot on with your thoughts.

    Hossa in Chicago, hmmmmm? Martin Havlat seems really, really mad so we will see what he has to say...

    Conklin to the blues - they have pretty solid goal tending, already, but I can't wait to see what Conklin brings, big fan of his so I expect great things...

    Keep on cleaning that closet, but update soon, please!

    ReplyDelete