Sunday, July 12, 2009

British Open Week


It's British Open Week! I can't believe we are already at the time of the summer where our 3rd major takes place. I always feel that after the major championships are over, that means my summer is over so I better get excited to start school back up and prepare for football season! I'm not quite there exactly! Actually, I'm still applying for teaching jobs and have decided to take a break from my masters degree (because if I accumulate any more credits, I really will never find a job because they will have to pay me so much more than they would like!) and pursue another love of mine, finance. I will start classes this fall with hopes of attaining my personal financial planning license. Yeah, sounds a bit boring, but I like numbers, and it's very useful information to know!

Back to golf, which is also quite useful! I have several favorites for this week's tournament, which kind of defeats the purpose of having a favorite!

Tiger Woods: You can't not pick Tiger. He's so dominant and coming off a great win at the AT&T last week. He also has the mental game of a machine! It's a requirement for a major championship to have a strong mental game. I'm sure if you look up mental game in the dictionary, you might find Tiger's picture there! He's that good!

Padraig Harrington: As much as I would love to see the Irishman 3-peat this tournament. I don't see it happening! He just won the Irish Open today for the third consecutive time and his reworked swing is coming together nicely, but I feel that the field is far to competitive for Padraig to pull off another stunning victory on Sunday. I could be wrong though!

Who am I most excited about seeing play: Adam Scott! He'll have his girlfriend (Ana Ivonovic) walking with him this week like he did this past weekend at the Scottish Open. If that's what it takes for Scotty to finish in the top 5 and shoot under par, keep it up! I'm happy to see him smiling on the golf course! I've missed that! I don't think he'll contend, but I see a strong top 15 finish out of Scotty this weekend! I hope he's able to carry it over to the PGA Championship next month and really contend there! He's struggled so much this year, but it looks as if his game is about to turn a corner! Keep grinding, Adam! I also hope he's able to finish strong in the Fed Ex Cup race. He can't win it anymore, but if he keeps making cuts and playing near the last group on Sunday, more good things are bound to happen!

Martin Kaymer--He's won the past two European Tour tournaments! Yes, the past two! This German golfer who was rookie of the year back in 2007 I believe on the Euro Tour has really picked up his game! I look to see 4 good rounds out of him, and a top 10 finish! He's fun to watch. Looks a little like Adam sometimes when he plays. If he grew his hair out and it was a bit curly like Adam's fro, they really would look alike! They've got those dimples!

Other guys I'm looking at would be several of the Europeans. The American's don't tend to play well when the weather is rough and it always is rough during the British Open. We'll see who else is looking good as the week progresses! :)

2 comments:

  1. Of course, I will root for Tiger, but I just may have to add Padraig Harrington because he's Irish and has a very cool name!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to be in love with Joey Harrington. This was...5 years ago maybe. I ended up meeting him twice! :) Joey's Dad and Padraig are 2nd cousins I believe. I can't remember, but they are related!

    ReplyDelete